Life on Campus

About Daegu / Gyeongbuk

Tourist Attractions of Daegu City

Mt. Palgongsan

The mountain between Gyeongsangbuk-do and Daegu stands 1,193 meters high. It is a famous mountain in Daegu and sits about 20 kilometers north of the center of the city. During the Silla Dynasty, it was called 'Buak', 'Jungak' and 'Gongsan', but in the Joseon Dynasty, the mountain came to be called by its current name 'Palgongsan'. The area is the center of Buddhist culture in Korea and harbors many temples surrounded by its scenic rocks and streams. Azaleas bloom in the spring, while the luxuriant forests and clear fresh streams bring delight in the summer. Majestic golden-toned leaves dot the landscape and decorate the 16.3-kilometer roadway during the fall. In the winter, the snowy landscape is a must-see. A veritable centerpiece for each season, Palgongsan Mountain is never without visitors.

Donghwasa Temple

Donghwasa Temple is located at the southern foot of Mt. Palgongsan, 22 km northeast of downtown Daegu. The temple was built by Geukdal in 493, originally called Yugasa Temple and reconstructed in 832 A.D. by Simji. The temple was renamed "Donghwasa (temple of winter flowers)" after the paulownia trees in its compound, blooming during the reconstruction of the temple in winter. Also, records indicate that the temple has been reconstructed eight times and the present facilities are believed to have been rebuilt in the late Joseon period (1392-1910). There are eleven cultural assets officially designated by the central government or by the city government. The six satellite temples of Donghwasa include Geumdangam, Biroam, Budoam, Yeomburam, Yangjinam, and Naewonam Hermitages. A 33-meter high Tongilyaksadaebul Buddha was built recently, in hopes of a reunification of the Korean Peninsula. Currently, Donghwasa was registered as the 9th head temple of a Korean Buddhist order, Jogyejong on July 28, 1988.

Daegu Tourist Information Center

Information of Daegu Tourist Information CenterThis table represents name of information center, location, number of guide, area, business hours and reference.
Information Center Location Number of Guides
Area(㎡) Business hours Reference
Daegu Tourist Information Center 46, Gongwonsunhwan-ro,
Dalseo-gu, Daegu
(within the Duryu Park)
4(2/1/1) 222.8 09:00~18:00 627-8986
Daegu International Airport
Tourist Information Center
221, Gonghang-ro, Dong-gu, Daegu
(within the Daegu
International Airport building)
5(2/1/2) 24.3
09:00~19:00 984-1994
Dongdaegu Station
Tourist Information Center
550, Dongdaegu-ro, Dong-gu, Daegu
(within the Dongdaegu Station plaza)
5(2/2/1) 18 09:00~19:00 939-0080
Dongseongro Tourist
Information Center
30, Dongseong-ro, Jung-gu, Daegu
(on the left side of
Daegu Department Store)
4(2/1/1) 8.2 10:00~20:00 252-2696
Yangnyeongsi Tourist
Information Center
49, Dalgubeoldae-ro 415-gil,
Jung-gu, Daegu
(in front of Daegu Yangnyeongsi
Museum of Oriental Medicine)
4(1/2/1) 14.3 09:00~18:00 661-3324
Exco Tourist Information Center
90, Yutongdanji-ro, Buk-gu, Daegu
(on the first floor of new building)
3(2/-/1) 25 09:00~18:00 601-5237
Daegu Station Tourist
Information Center
21, Mugyo-ro, Jung-gu, Daegu
(within the Daegu Station plaza)
2(1/1/-) 12.6 09:00~18:00 660-1432
Donghwasa Tourist
Information Center
1, Donghwasa 1-gil, Dong-gu, Daegu
(the precincts of Donghwasa)
3(1/1/1) 12.6 09:00~18:00 985-0980

Tourist Attractions of Gyeongbuk Province

Bulguksa (Temple)

It was established by Kim Dae-seong in 10th year of Silla King Gyeongdeok(75) and repaired several times through Goryeo, Joseon period and vanished in Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592, but it was restored in 1973. It is composed of main temple, the hall of Paradise, Birojeon and there are national treasures such Dabotab(Pagoda), Seokgatab(Pagoda), gilt bronze Birojanabuljoasang(Statue), gilt bronze Amitayeoraejoasang(Statue), etc. Seokguram(national treasure No.24) is a stone cave temple composed of round shape main room and front room (registered as a national cultural heritage designated by UNESCO in September 9, 1995)

Buseoksa (Temple)

The temple was established by Visang great Buddhist priest in 16th years of King Munmu in Silla(676). Muryangsujeon which places National treasure No.45 Sojoyeorae joasang(Statue) is the oldest existing wooden building, National treasure No.18. The stone lantern at front yard represents stone lantern in Silla period and was designated as National treasure No.17. There are National treasure No.19 Josadang and a remains pavilion which keeps National treasure No.46 Josadang wall painting.

Songnisan(Mt.) National Park

A famous mountain with height of 1,057m located in Sangju-si and Boeun-gun Chungbuk. It is designated as National Park in 1970.

Sobaeksan(Mt.) National Park

A famous mountain with height of 1,439m located over Yeongju-si Gyeongbuk, Bonghwa-gun Gyeongbuk, Danyang-gun Chungbuk, Yeongwol-gun Gangwon-do. It is the peak of Sobaek Mountains. Sobaek mountain range including main peak, Birobong(Peak), Gukmangbong(Peak), Yeonhwabong(Peak) and Dosolbong(Peak), and surrounding scenery is very excellent. There are Huibangsa(Temple), Huibang falls and Sobaeksan observatory. It is designated as the 18th National Park in the country in 1987.